Format: Online, on-demand streaming.
Length: ~ 10 hours.
The Ultimate Guide to Benchmarking takes a “create your own adventure” approach to teaching both building owners and the professionals who serve them how to use ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager®. Are you a building owner interested in benchmarking your property’s energy performance? A manager or solutions provider focused on identifying buildings most in need of efficiency improvements? A broker who needs to know how new benchmarking mandates affect whole-building sales, leases, financing, and refinancing? This online/on-demand training system will provide you with the level of detail you need in a convenient and time-efficient manner. You can experience one or two modules to gain awareness. You can focus on the module(s) that relate to your particular property type(s). Or you can view every module and become the benchmarking maven in your own organization or even begin offering benchmarking services for a fee.The Ultimate Guide to Benchmarking is comprised of a series of short training modules, each of which addresses a specific topic related to energy benchmarking.
EPA has updated the layout of Portfolio Manager in recent months such that some images appearing here no longer match what you see in Portfolio Manager exactly. We’ve reduced our price while an updated version of this course is being developed. Thank you for your patience!
Learn to answer such questions as…
- Why should you benchmark?
- And if you do, why should you use ENERGY STAR’s Portfolio Manager online tool?
- Which territories and types of transactions now require energy performance disclosures?
- Which data points do you need to benchmark a building?
- How do you establish your Portfolio Manager account?
- How do you enter a property into the tool?
- How about the energy data?
- How do you authorize your utility or other service provider to upload your meter data to Portfolio Manager on your behalf?
- How do you set baselines and targets to help with goal-setting and progress-tracking?
- How do you generate reports…or share building data with others?
You’ll find the answer to each of these questions (and many more) by selecting the appropriate module in this online energy star benchmarking training and viewing a short presentation. Many modules also feature links for downloading supporting resources.The Ultimate Guide to Benchmarking is by far the most convenient way to learn how to benchmark your building. (It is rare to find this quality in an energy star benchmarking course.) Log on whenever your schedule allows. Explore individual modules that pertain to your situation. Focus on the building type(s) that are most relevant to you. Pause, rewind, and re-watch as necessary. You can even view this resource on an iPad, iPhone or other device to provide step-by-step guidance as you use your own computer to enter your building into Portfolio Manager. Moreover, your registration for the Ultimate Guide also includes access to our team of benchmarking experts – providing you with one-on-one technical assistance at no cost to help ensure the success of your benchmarking efforts.You cannot manage what you do not measure. Benchmarking your building’s energy performance is the first step to understanding and reducing its energy consumption and costs. With many jurisdictions across the country now mandating energy performance submissions for certain buildings, such as the City of San Francisco’s Existing Commercial Buildings Energy Performance Ordinance, there’s never been a better time to learn how to benchmark using ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. And with the new Ultimate Guide to Benchmarking, there’s never been a more comprehensive or convenient way to do so!
- 1.0 Quick Start Guide
- 1.1 What Level of Detail Do You Need to Know?
- 2.0 Why Benchmark?
- 2.1 Measuring What You Manage
- 2.2 Benchmarking Interest Across the U.S.
2.3 Benchmarking and CA AB 1103(out of date)
- 2.4 Benchmarking and San Francisco
- 2.5 Building Your Business
- 3.0 Portfolio Manager FUNDAMENTALS
- 3.1 Why Portfolio Manager?
- 3.3 Data Needed to Benchmark
- 3.5 Establishing a Portfolio Manager Account
- 3.6 Adding Property Details Manually
- 3.7 Adding Property Details Via Spreadsheet Upload
- 3.8 Adding Energy Data Manually
- 3.9 Adding Energy Data via Spreadsheet Upload
- 3.11 Benchmarking a Building in Design
- 5.0 Portfolio Manager BASELINES, TARGETS, AND MORE
- 5.6 Editing Property Details
- 5.8 Setting Targets
- 5.10 Sharing a Property
- 6.0 Portfolio Manager REPORTING
- 6.1 Generating Performance Reports
- 6.9 Downloading a Building or Entire Portfolio
Explore regional Benchmarking ordinances using this EPA Policies and Programs map.
Explore regional availability of Energy Data for Benchmarking using this interactive EPA Utilities map.
Below find an interactive summary of electric and gas utilities which offer Web Services data exchange programs to facilitate use of EPA’s ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager to improve energy efficiency in commercial and multi-family buildings.
Additional EPA Resources:
Registration is for a license to use these online course materials on a PER-PERSON basis for one year. Access by unlicensed registrants is strictly prohibited. As the licensed registrant for this training, you are accountable for any illegal distribution of course content including sharing your log-on information with others, group viewing, posting copies of this material on the Internet or on a company server or intranet, and any other form of unauthorized sharing. If you need help registering other people for this course or using these training materials for your team, please email email@example.com so that everyone may be properly registered. All training materials are covered by U.S. Copyright law and under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The name ENERGY STAR, the ENERGY STAR seal, the name Portfolio Manager, and the Portfolio Manager logo are all registered trademarks owned by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.